frontpage hit counter

Saturday, February 11, 2006

observations on campus

Nothing says I’m secure in my manhood like kickin’ it on campus with your best friend while both of you wear pink and blue striped shirts. They weren’t identical but they sure were close. In the future, when guys wear pink all the time, you will be considered the founders of the pink movement. I also envy your friendship. At the moment, I don’t have any friends here to whom I could say, “Let’s buy the same pink shirts and walk around on campus all day.” Maybe it’s a good thing that I don’t have any crazy friends like me here who like to do things like that. I probably get more studying done that way.

Note to students of Boyce College:
Please stop making out in Honeycut. Rather than a pool hall, think of it as a church with a pool table but with a bunch of monks walking around trying to put to rest their teenage hormones and focus on scripture. I just thought of this but I should have knocked on the window. I probably look old enough that they might think I was employed by the school. Why don’t I ever think of this stuff when it happens?

Two guys were walking abreast down the hallway in front of me caught up in discussion and a young lady moving in the opposite direction had to jump out the way to not get mowed down. I know the feminist movement has destroyed the concept of a gentleman and respect for a woman but surely in your modern minds you can respect, at the bare minimum, the idea of a personal space bubble. I’d like to make a comment on Nothern manners here but that would be irresponsible as I have no idea where these two were from. The reason this stands out is because most here are great examples of a gentleman.

To the guy in my building that strangled the parrot the other night or whatever that was you were doing:
I hope you got that out of your system and the parrot did not survive because I never want to be awakened from my slumber by that sound again.

4 Comments:

Blogger sajini said...

Are you generalizing and saying that northerners are less mannered then you guys?

Sat Feb 11, 07:25:00 PM PST  
Blogger iconoclasm said...

"You guys" (I have lived many places both domestic and foreign and I don't count myself among a particular group.)

Yes, but it is necessary in their environment. I fully understand city sidewalk mode. I have one myself.
In a city you can't flash a big grin and say howdy doody to every person you walk past and sing "Who are the people in your neighborhood?" like it's Sesame Street. People will assume one of five things, you're gay and hitting on them, a mugger, a prostitute, selling fake stuff, or crazy. Oh yea, or a tourist. You put on your mean face and don't look around like Dorothy is visiting from Kansas and she can't believe how tall all the buildings are. You walk quickly and don't look vulnerable.

However, this environment is about the safest possible. It's very small. There's no hurry because all the classes are in one place. It's only Christians preparing for ministry. Many are hoping to meet a mate. There is absolutely no reason to operate in Big city sidewalk mode in the hallway of a small building and make a girl get out of your way.

Lately there have been a few blog posts on manners and friendliness here compared to where one is from. It usually seems to degenerate into a north/south thing. Mostly I think it's just a cultural misunderstanding but this was one case that I felt was clear. They were in the wrong mode. Even though the rudeness was not intentional, premeditated, nor even aware, the result was the same. Like I said, if she hadn't jumped out of the way she have gotten bumped or knocked over by gorilla boy.

Many of these are friendly southern girls that are far away from their family and friends in a larger city than most of them are used to. We should not be something they avoid so they don't get knocked down we should be looking after them.

This is a really interesting topic. I should write an article on manners.

*steps down off soapbox*

ok, whenever you are ready, feminists you can call me patriarchal or whatever your new buzzword is.

Sat Feb 11, 10:48:00 PM PST  
Blogger G. F. McDowell said...

I'm surprised Boyce doesn't have a 6" rule or something of the like.

Sun Feb 12, 09:08:00 PM PST  
Blogger sajini said...

WHatever you say mannnnnn!!!!!!!!

Mon Feb 13, 07:02:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home