frontpage hit counter

Monday, April 03, 2006

Centerfold of Calvin, Rainer's Inauguration, American Idol in new issue of SBC Life

Update: The Great Oz at his blog The Reformed Baptist Thinker has also picked up on the Calvin centerfold in the new SBC Life. He's done a good job of linking to everything related. I don't know if I tipped him off to it but I am glad to see it get some play whether I scooped it or not.

You need to go down to Honeycutt and get the latest SBC Life maga-paper thing.

There's a full color shot of Calvin and a tulip blooming. It's not a full body shot but I know some of you have been praying for this day.

Of course there's the obligatory hypercalvinist sayings that no one has ever actually heard anyone say and that no one actually believes and then surprise surprise, the trusty missions excuse. Apparently all of us future pastors and missionaries here at Southern are just here because we like to write papers. No one should be allowed to repeat that unless they can think of at least one great Arminian missionary.

Dr. Malcolm Yarnell III wrote a TULIP article for it. You may remember him from his recent "Heart of a Baptist" lecture at Southwestern. Tom Ascol had been discussing it at the Founders blog not too long ago. Dr. Yarnell writes that it is disturbing that people are using adherence to TULIP as a test of fellowship. I don't know how he found this out but at Southern, we don't share a ping-pong table with anyone who doesn't adhere to at least 4 points of Calvinism. They might think it was their own abilities that allowed them to win. For fuzeball you have to accept Limited Atonement as well.

There's also an article by Dr. Daniel Akin, President of South Eastern Baptist Theological Seminary, entitled: Divine Sovereignty and Human Responsibility How Should Southern Baptists Respond to the Issue of Calvinism.

This is just my college journalism talking but it might be a good idea to locate an actual Calvinist for your big spread on Calvinism. I guess I should just be happy it wasn't written by Clark Pinnock.

It seems like I'm the only one around here that doesn't like images of the persons of the trinity but be warned there is a violation of the second commandment above Akin's article.

Mandisa Hundley who used to work at Lifeway and now leads worship for the Beth Moore conferences is on American Idol. She got Simon to hug her and apologize for a particularly spiteful comment (even for Simon) after bringing up Christ's death on the cross. I don't know how you could find a way to bring that up. I would probably just attack Simon for making fun of me or try to get a hug from Paula Abdul and have flashbacks to my 9 year old 80's dreams of her. Just kidding. We were fundamentalists, I had no clue who she was.

There is also an article about Rainer's inauguration ceremony.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm just waiting for you to pull the curtain back...

"The Great Oz"

Wed Apr 05, 10:27:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home