frontpage hit counter

Sunday, February 12, 2006

why am i a baptist???

This is a parody of Tom’s post:Why I am a Baptist

1. Scripture and Baptist Tradition Alone
Sola Scriptura except on drinking, Disney, dancing, gambling, tobacco, movies, rock music, revivals, co-ed swimming, grape juice in the Lord’s Supper, and Arminianism.

2. Sola Gratia
Jesus died on the cross but it didn’t save anyone yet. He’s out there knockin’ on everybody’s door just hoping someone lets him in. It’s like a baking soda volcano, just waiting for you to add the vinegar. Save yourselves already!

3. Regenerate Church Membership
No need to agree to a basic statement of faith just answer “yes” to every question the pastor asks after you walk the aisle and you’re in. (I think it’s good that most of our churches are holding new member classes now though.)

4. Believer’s Baptism
Does that 3 or 4 year old really understand what it means? How different from infant baptism is baptizing a 4 year old?

5. Liberty of Conscience
Uhh…

6. The Culture War
Why can’t non-Christians just act like us? It really saddens me that this dominates the pulpit rather than exegesis of scripture and the gospel. Although, I do enjoy a good ten commandments removal controversy or Pro-Life battle on TV as much as the next guy.

7. Sola Potluckia
Just kidding. I love those.

I guess this makes me a paleo-Baptist or something else. I agree with the things Tom mentioned. I would also add Congregationalism or local government. It is one of the main reasons that our denomination hasn’t gone liberal like almost every other mainline denomination. Our fierce dedication to Scripture Alone has also been a factor in keeping us from liberalism.

I totally agree with Tom about his #7 Evangelism. We have really put some missionaries out there. The interesting thing is that we have been able to do it without a huge denominational structure like everyone else.

The main reason I am still a Southern Baptist is that I love the SBC and its people and I feel like that’s where God wants me. It’s my background whether I agree with every single thing that happens or not. I will gladly stay and serve.

The elderly saints of those churches have pored out their lives and fruits of the spirit into mine for a long time. They set great examples of what a Christian should be and showed Christ’s love to those around them. Their cups overflowed with God’s grace. If I could only pass on even part of that…

It sounds like a difficult task for a church to live up to the high standards Tom mentioned. Thankfully, it’s not merely the actions of man we are counting on; we have scripture and the Holy Spirit to help us.

1 Comments:

Blogger G. F. McDowell said...

1. Scripture and Baptist Tradition Alone

Hear, hear!

Although it is interesting to see that Southern DOES allow students to smoke off-campus. Double standard???

Sun Feb 12, 09:42:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home